Swedish Forgotten Meringue with Strawberries
Fresh strawberries are scattered in a cloud-like setting of whipped cream atop a delicate, crisp crust of meringue.
5 large egg whites
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
1 pint fresh strawberries, washed and stemmed
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Spray a 9-inch pie pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Mix sugar and baking powder in a small bowl. Beat into egg whites until stiff. Fold in vanilla.
- Spread meringue over bottom of pie pan, spreading edges slightly higher. Place in oven and turn off the heat; leave overnight.
- Next day, carefully remove meringue from pie pan and place on a serving platter.
- Whip cream until stiff and spread over meringue. Garnish with whole strawberries.
Makes 8 servings.