The Cheesecake Lover's Cheesecake
A dense, yet light-textured cheesecake with the perfect balance of flavor. Expect rave reviews.
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
4 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C)
- For Crust: Stir together all crust ingredients in medium bowl. Press onto bottom and 1-inch up side of ungreased 9-inch springform pan. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- For Filling: In a large mixing bowl, beat 8 ounces of the cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, and the cornstarch with an electric mixer on low speed until creamy, about 3 minutes. Then beat in the remaining cream cheese.
- Increase the mixer speed to high and beat in the remaining 1 1/3 cups of the sugar, then beat in the vanilla. Blend in the eggs, one at a time, beating the batter well after each addition. Reduce mixer speed to low and blend in the heavy cream until just blended, being careful not to over mix the batter.
- Gently pour the cheese filling on top of the cooled graham cracker crust.
- Place the springform pan into a large shallow baking pan; carefully fill the baking pan with enough hot water until it comes up to about 1-inch high on the sides of the springform pan. Bake the cheesecake until the center barely jiggles when you shake the pan, about 1 hour.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack for 1 hour. Then cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 4 hours or better yet, overnight.
- Remove the sides of the springform pan. Carefully run a thin spatula between the crust and bottom of the springform pan and gently slide the cake off onto a serving plate. Or, simply leave the cake on the removable bottom of the pan and place it on a serving plate. Store, covered, in refrigerator.
Makes 16 servings.
Tip: Serve cheesecake plain or with your favorite fresh or canned fruit sauce, a chocolate glaze or ganache, or combine 1 1/2 cups sour cream, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and carefully spread over top of cheesecake during the last 5 minutes of baking time.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): 383.0 calories; 60% calories from fat; 26.1g total fat; 104.1mg cholesterol; 247.1mg sodium; 93.8mg potassium; 32.1g carbohydrates; 0.2g fiber; 25.2g sugar; 31.9g net carbs; 5.8g protein.