Three Nut Torte
A delicious buttery pastry torte with a triple-nut filling made with pecans, almonds and walnuts.
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar - divided use
1 cup whipping cream
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
3/4 cup slivered almonds
3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 cup unsalted butter
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 egg white
1 teaspoon water
- Melt 2 cups of the sugar in 2 quart heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add cream, stirring briskly until well-combined with sugar. Stir in nuts; cool. Set aside.
- Cream butter and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in egg and vanilla. Add flour; mix well.
- Spread 2 cups dough onto bottom and 1 1/2-inches high around sides of a 10-inch springform pan. Spread nut mixture evenly over dough in pan.
- Roll remaining dough to 10-inch circle between wax paper. Place over nut mixture; pinch edges to seal. Brush with combined egg white and water.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 1 hour.
- Cool. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.