Upside-Down Ginger-Pecan "Peach Pie"
Sliced fresh peaches are tossed in a cinnamon, brown sugar and butter mixture, grilled and served over a scoop of vanilla ice cream and crispy, ginger-pecan shortbread crumbles.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
2 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon - divided use
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons softened butter - divided use
1 tablespoon brown sugar, firmly packed
4 California peaches, pitted and cut into 8 slices each
8 small scoops vanilla bean ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C) and lightly butter a loaf pan.
- Stir together flour, powdered sugar, pecans, crystallized ginger and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Add in 1/2 cup butter and mix well to form a soft dough.
- Press into the bottom of prepared pan and bake for 25 minutes. Set aside to cool, then break into a rough crumble, leaving some larger and smaller pieces.
- Melt remaining butter and cinnamon with brown sugar in a large bowl in the microwave.
- Toss fruit in butter mixture then grill over high heat for about 1 to 2 minutes on each side to lightly brown. Remove from grill.
- Place ice cream in bowls and top with warm fruit and sprinkle with crumbled shortbread.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 260 calories, 3g protein, 26g carbohydrate, 17g total fat, 40mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 2g fiber.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of www.eatcaliforniafruit.com.