Very Berry Meringues
A classic summer fruit dessert with an appealing mix of colors, flavors and textures.
3 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup sliced strawberries
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup fresh blackberry
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 225°F (105°C).
- Beat egg whites at high speed until foamy. Sprinkle cream of tartar, vanilla and salt over egg whites. Beat until soft peaks form; add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Drop meringue mixture onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. Quickly smooth the meringue center by pushing the center out to the edges with back of spoon, creating a shell.
- Bake 1 hour. Turn oven off, then let cool for 8 hours in the oven with door close.
- Divide strawberries, blueberries and blackberries among meringue shells.
- Whip cream and powdered sugar to stiff peaks. Top fruit with whipped cream.
- Serve immediately.
Makes 12 servings.