Hearty Corn Cakes
These corn cakes are a terrific way to start your morning, or an accompaniment to any meal as a replacement for bread. Great with Vegetarian Chili.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
7 tablespoons Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
3/4 cup stone ground yellow cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Grease muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray butter flavor.
- In large bowl, combine dry ingredients and make well. In small bowl, mix milk, honey, oil, and egg whites.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter into greased cups.
- Lightly spray (one spray) tops of batter with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake until wooden pick comes out clean, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Makes 12 servings.
Variation Suggestions: Add 1 cup frozen corn kernels to batter, or add 1 (4-ounce) can diced mild green chiles, drained.
Nutritional Information Per Serving: Calories: 140; Calories from Fat: 45; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 160mg; Total Carbs: 19g; Dietary Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 3g; Protein: 3g.
Exchanges per Serving: 1 1/3 Starches, 1 Fat.
Recipe courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.