Sweet Potato Bisque
A smooth, rich bisque with sweet potatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, celery, bacon and orange juice.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 slices bacon, diced
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced celery
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
4 new potatoes, peeled and diced
6 cups flavorful chicken or vegetable stock
1 tablespoon Splenda® Sugar Blend
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat; add bacon.
- Cook for about 2 minutes to render the fat.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic, and sauté for 5 to 7 minutes, stirring frequently. Then add the orange juice and reduce to thick syrup.
- Add the potatoes and stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add Splenda® Sugar Blend for Baking and cayenne.
- Ladle mixture into a blender and pure thoroughly in batches; strain and season with salt and pepper. If the soup is too thick, thin with a little chicken or vegetable stock.
- Serve warm.
Makes 8 (3/4 cup) servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe; 3/4 cup): Calories 180 | Calories from Fat 45 | Fat 5.0g (sat 1.0g) | Cholesterol 0mg | Sodium 860mg | Carbohydrates 29g | Fiber 3g | Sugars 8g | Protein 5g.
Recipe is are courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.