Very Strawberry Shortcake
Unlike the familiar little sponge cake, this is a sweet and tender biscuit filled with fresh strawberries that are laced with a splash of balsamic vinegar.
3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
2 tablespoons Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 1/2 cups reduced-fat biscuit mix
1 tablespoon Splenda® Granulated No Calorie Sweetener
1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed (optional)
Mint sprigs (optional)
- Strawberry Filling Directions: Stir together strawberries, 1/3 cup Splenda® Granulated Sweetener and balsamic vinegar; let stand 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Shortcake Directions: Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Combine biscuit mix and 1/3 cup Splenda® Granulated Sweetener in a large bowl.
- Stir together yogurt and vanilla; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 3 or 4 times. Pat dough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/4-inch round cutter, reusing dough scraps, if necessary.
- Place shortcakes on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve warm with sliced strawberries. Garnish, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 120; Calories from Fat: 5; Total Fat: 1g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 350mg; Total Carbs: 24g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugars: 6g; Protein: 4g.
Exchanges Per Serving: 1 1/2 Starches.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of Splenda, Inc. Splenda® is a no-calorie sweetener made from sugar that is suitable for diabetics. For more information regarding this product, please call 1-800-777-5363 or visit their website at www.splenda.com.