Beef and Salami Lasagna
A great Sunday meal to serve a hungry bunch. A meaty dish with not only ground beef, but bacon and salami as well. Serve with a green salad and lots of bread.
8 ounces lasagna noodles
2 strips of bacon
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1/2 pound salami, chopped
1 tablespoon dried crushed parsley
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried basil
1 (10-ounce) can tomato paste
1 (15-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
1/2 pound mushroom, chopped
1/2 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup cottage cheese
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook lasagna noodles as per package directions; drain and set aside.
- Sauté strips of bacon, onion and garlic in hot oil for about 5 minutes or until bacon is cooked and crispy and onion is softened; remove garlic cloves. Add ground beef, salami, basil and parsley. Brown and drain. Add tomato paste, whole tomatoes, chopped mushrooms and water. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, or until thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (175°C). Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, beaten eggs and Parmesan cheese. Pour a layer of tomato mixture in the bottom of baking dish. Cover with a layer of the cooked noodles, followed by a layer of the cheese/egg mixture; sprinkle part of mozzarella cheese on top. Repeat layers until ending with sauce and a layer of the mozzarella.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and browned. Remove from oven and serve hot.
Makes 8 servings.