Beef, Wild Rice and Mushroom Bake
This simple and satisfying ground beef and wild rice casserole includes fresh mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes and Italian cheese.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
1 pound ground beef (90% to 95% lean)
8 ounces assorted fresh wild mushrooms (such as cremini, shiitake and oyster) or button mushrooms, sliced
1 (5.6 to 6.6-ounce) package wild rice mix with seasonings
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, not packed in oil
Water as needed in directions
1/2 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and mushrooms; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings. Stir in rice, contents of seasoning packet and tomatoes.
- Spoon beef mixture into 2-quart baking dish. Stir in water amount indicated in rice package directions, plus 1/2 cup additional water. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until water is absorbed. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Continue baking, uncovered, 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Makes 4 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 379 calories; 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 86 mg cholesterol; 822 mg sodium; 36 g carbohydrate; 2.1 g fiber; 35 g protein; 8.1 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12; 4.9 mg iron; 26.7 mcg selenium; 6.4 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.