Beef with Red Beans and Rice
A deliciously simple ground beef version of red beans and rice that comes together quickly.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc.
1 pound ground beef
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
1 (15 to 16-ounce) can red or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (5.4 to 6.8-ounce) package Santa Fe or Mexican rice mix with seasonings
1 medium tomato, seeded and diced for garnish
Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Heat large nonstick over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and bell pepper; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; pour off drippings and return to skillet.
- Stir in beans, rice mix and water, omitting oil or margarine indicated in package directions; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook according to time indicated in package directions or until rice is tender. Remove from heat; let stand according to package directions. Top with tomato; season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe using 80% lean ground beef): 458 calories; 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 77 mg cholesterol; 750 mg sodium; 47 g carbohydrate; 7.4 g fiber; 34 g protein; 5.7 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12; 5.1 mg iron; 18.4 mcg selenium; 5.7 mg zinc.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe using 96% lean ground beef): 388 calories; 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 0 g monounsaturated fat); 65 mg cholesterol; 803 mg sodium; 48 g carbohydrate; 7.7 g fiber; 33 g protein; 7.9 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.1 mcg vitamin B12; 5.8 mg iron; 17.5 mcg selenium; 5.3 mg zinc; 83.7 mg choline.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.