These hearty, pan-fried beef patties are dressed with sautéed onions rings. Whether served on toasted buns or on a dinner plate with your favorite sides, these moist ground "beefsteaks" will satisfy.
1 (4-ounce) French bread dinner or sandwich roll
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons butter - divided use
5 medium yellow onions, peeled, 1 chopped and 4 sliced - divided use
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon brown sugar
- In a small bowl, soak French bread roll in water.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed skillet. Melt 1 tablespoon butter and cook the 1 chopped onion until softened and lightly browned; remove to a large mixing bowl.
- Squeeze water as much as possible from French roll; add to the sautéed onion, along with the ground beef, salt and pepper, mixing well. Shape beef mixture into 4 equal patties.
- Return skillet to burner; heat to medium-high.
- Cook patties 8 to 10 minutes, turning once or twice. Remove patties to a covered pan or dish; keep them warm.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter, brown sugar and remaining 4 sliced onions to skillet; cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, season with salt and pepper to taste. Top beefsteaks with onions.
- Serve immediately on toasted buns or dinner plates with accompaniments of your choice.
Makes 4 servings.