Beefy Shepherd's Pie
Ground beef, ready-to-use beef gravy and mashed potatoes make this version of the classic Shepherd's Pie quick and easy to prepare — making it a great choice for a hot and satisfying meal on a busy day!
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.
1 pound ground beef (90% to 95% lean)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 (12-ounce) jar mushroom or beef gravy
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 1/2 to 3 cups prepared mashed potatoes, warmed
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; pour off drippings. Return beef to skillet; stir in gravy and peas and season with pepper.
- Spoon beef mixture into 2-quart baking dish. Top with potatoes, spreading evenly; sprinkle with cheese, if desired.
- Bake in 450°F (230°C) oven 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and cheese begins to brown.
Makes 4 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): 389 calories; 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 85 mg cholesterol; 1054 mg sodium; 4 g carbohydrate; 2.7 g fiber; 35 g protein; 8.9 mg niacin; 0.8 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12; 4.4 mg iron; 20.4 mcg selenium; 7.1 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.