Cheesy 'Chilada Casserole
This easy casserole has all the taste of classic enchiladas—without all the work.
1 pound lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (15.5-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup picante salsa
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 head lettuce, shredded
2 tomatoes, chopped
Sour cream for accompaniment
Salsa for accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef with onion, green bell pepper and garlic; drain. Stir in pinto beans, tomato sauce, picante salsa, cumin and salt. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer half of the mixture to a 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Top with half the corn tortillas. Repeat layers. Sprinkle with cheddar.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve with lettuce and tomatoes and top with sour cream and salsa.
Makes 8 servings.