Chili ' n' Cheese Casserole
Topped with corn bread biscuits, this hearty chili and cheese casserole is sure to gather the family around the supper table quick!
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 (16-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15.25-ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Corn Bread Biscuits:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
- In a small bowl or cup combine chili powder, ground cumin and garlic powder; set aside.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook beef, onion and green pepper until meat is well browned; drain. Stir in reserved spice mixture and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Beat egg, milk and sour cream until smooth; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Transfer chili to an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls onto chili mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) for 18 to 20 minutes or until biscuits are lightly browned.
Makes 8 servings.