Classic Lasagna with Fresh Tomato Sauce
Lasagna is a wonderful choice for serving a crowd. This version is made with a fresh tomato sauce with classic Italian seasonings.
1 pound lean ground beef
2/3 cup peeled chopped onion
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound tomatoes, chopped
2 cups water
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
1 teaspoon crushed dried basil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
9 large lasagna noodles
1 (8-ounce) container ricotta cheese
4 cups (1 pound) shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a heavy-bottomed large pan, lightly brown ground beef and chopped onion in olive oil, about 5 minutes; drain. Add tomatoes, water, tomato paste, parsley, garlic powder, oregano, basil, salt and pepper. Simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare lasagna noodles according to package directions; rinse with cold water and drain well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Layer 3 cooked lasagna noodles in the bottom of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Dot with 1/3 of the ricotta cheese. Pour 1/3 of the sauce on top. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat twice.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until hot; cheese should be melted and sauce bubbly. Let set up for 15 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.