Easy Sausage Pizza Pie
This savory pizza pot pie is as easy to make as it is tasty—thanks to ready-to-use pie crust and pizza sauce.
1 (15-ounce) package folded refrigerated unbaked pie crusts (2-count)
1 tablespoon cornmeal
8 ounces bulk Italian sausage or pork sausage
1/2 of a (3.5-ounce) package sliced pepperoni
1 (4-ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
1 (8-ounce) can pizza sauce
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 teaspoon milk or water
- Let pie crusts stand at room temperature according to package directions. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle pie plate with cornmeal; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook sausage until brown. Add pepperoni; heat through. Drain fat. Pat dry with paper towels to remove additional fat. Stir in the mushrooms. Set aside.
- Combine pizza sauce, red pepper and chili powder. Set aside.
- Unfold pie crusts. Transfer one of the crusts to prepared pie plate. Sprinkle one-third of the shredded cheese over bottom crust. Pour half of the pizza sauce over cheese. Top with the sausage mixture, another one-third of the shredded cheese, and the remaining pizza sauce. Top; with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Cut several slits in remaining crust. Place top crust on filling. Trim and flute edge. Brush with milk or water.
- Bake in a 425°F (220°C) oven about 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and pizza is heated through. let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.