Easy Beef & Spinach Lasagna
Ground beef lasagna with Florentine flair.
1 pound lean ground beef
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 (26 to 30-ounce) jar prepared spaghetti sauce
1 (14.5-ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 (15-ounce) carton part-skim ricotta cheese
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 large egg, beaten
10 no-cook-style lasagna noodles
1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). In large nonstick skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until no longer pink. Pour off drippings. Season beef with salt; stir in spaghetti sauce, tomatoes and red pepper; set aside.
- Meanwhile in medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, spinach, Parmesan cheese and egg.
- Spread 2 cups beef sauce over bottom of 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Arrange 4 lasagna noodles lengthwise in single layer. Place 5th noodle across end of baking dish, breaking noodle to fit dish; press noodles into sauce.
- Spread entire ricotta cheese mixture over noodles; sprinkle with 1 cup mozzarella cheese and top with 1 1/2 cups beef sauce. Arrange remaining noodles in single layer; press lightly into sauce. Top with remaining beef sauce.
- Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven 45 minutes or until noodles are tender. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top; tent lightly with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 minutes; cut into 12 (3x3-inch) squares.
Makes 12 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.