Easy Fiesta Strata
This cheesy, make-ahead Tex-Mex casserole is a great dish for a potluck.
6 (6-inch) corn tortillas, cut into 1/2-inch strips
1 pound hot Italian sausage, cooked, drained
12 (0.75-ounce) slices American cheese
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, drained
1/2 cup milk
8 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
2 large tomatoes, each cut into 6 thin slices
Paprika for sprinkling
Sour cream for accompaniment
- Arrange 1/2 tortilla strips, 1/2 sausage and 1/2 cheese in greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Layer with remaining tortilla strips and sausage; sprinkle with green chilies. Top with remaining cheese slices.
- Combine milk, eggs, chili powder and garlic salt in large bowl; mix well. Pour over cheese. Arrange tomato slices over cheese; sprinkle with paprika. Cover; refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 55 minutes or until set in center and edges are lightly browned.
- Cut into squares. Serve topped with a dollop of sour cream.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 280 Fat: 19 g Cholesterol: 190 mg Sodium: 730 mg Carbohydrates: 9 g Dietary Fiber: 0 g Protein: 17 g.