French Meat Loaf
A meat loaf mixture, topped with cheddar cheese, is baked in the shell of a hollowed out loaf of French bread.
1 pound loaf French bread
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce (1 cup)
2 large eggs
4 ounces cheddar cheese, sliced (or 1 cup shredded)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cut the top off French bread. Scoop out the center to leave a hollow shell. Crumble the scooped out bread and set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef with chopped onion and chopped celery; drain. Add salt, pepper, and tomato sauce; mix well.
- Stir in the reserved bread crumbs and eggs; mix well. Spoon into the bread shell and place on a baking sheet.
- Replace the top and arrange sliced cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Makes 8 servings.