Italian Beef and Cheese Calzone
A calzone is a pizza turned inside out — or a pizza turnover! This recipe is quick, easy and family-pleasing! Tip: Serve slices drizzled with warm pasta sauce, or on the side for dipping.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitaminB6, vitaminB12, iron, selenium and zinc.
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with onions, drained
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 (13.8-ounce) package refrigerated pizza crust dough
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and bell pepper; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings. Stir in tomatoes and oregano; continue cooking 5 to 7 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat; stir in cheese. Set aside.
- Sprinkle cornmeal evenly over rimmed baking sheet. Unroll pizza dough lengthwise on baking sheet, straightening edges of dough if necessary. Spoon beef filling over long half of dough, leaving 1-inch border on 3 sides. Gently lift and pull top half of dough over filling to enclose; pinch dough edges to seal.
- Bake in 400°F (205°C) oven 15 to 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. Cut crosswise into 8 slices.
Makes 4 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe using 80% lean ground beef): 563 calories; 26 g fat(10 g saturated fat; 7 g monounsaturated fat); 96 mg cholesterol; 764 mg sodium; 50 g carbohydrate; 2.2 g fiber; 37 g protein; 5.2 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12; 5.3 mg iron; 18.5 mcg selenium; 5.5 mg zinc.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe using 95% lean ground beef): 496 calories; 17 g fat(7 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 96 mg cholesterol; 758 mg sodium; 50 g carbohydrate; 2.2 g fiber; 39 g protein; 6.4 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12; 5.7 mg iron; 18.0 mcg selenium; 6.0 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.