Lasagna with Spicy Pork Italian Sausage
Recipe by Danica Pike of danicasdaily.com.
1 1/4 pounds lean ground pork
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley, plus 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley or basil
1/4 cup minced onion, plus 1 onion, diced
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1 teaspoon ground fennel seed
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
7 cloves garlic, minced - divided use
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups white mushrooms, sliced
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1 cup dry red wine
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 (15-ounce) container low-fat ricotta cheese
1 large egg
12 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles
9 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, finely shredded
1 ounce freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, combine the pork, minced parsley, minced onion, paprika, thyme, fennel, red pepper flakes, salt, black pepper and half the garlic Set aside in the refrigerator.
- In a large saucepan or small stockpot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the diced onion, mushrooms and remaining garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in all the tomatoes (with their juices), wine and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 1 hour.
- After about 45 minutes, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook the pork mixture, breaking it up with a spoon or spatula, until no longer pink, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Stir the cooked pork mixture into the tomato mixture, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, egg and roughly chopped parsley or basil. Set aside.
- Spray a 13x9x2-inch pan with nonstick spray and arrange 1/3 of the noodles on the bottom of the pan. Spread 1/3 of the tomato sauce over the noodles. Top with 1/3 of the ricotta mixture and 1/3 of the mozzarella. Add two more layers of noodles, tomato sauce, ricotta mixture and mozzarella. Top with the freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered until browned and heated through, 35 to 40 minutes.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 469; Total Fat: 33g; Saturated Fat: 12g; Cholesterol: 79mg; Total Carbs: 20g; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 19g; Sodium: 1433mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.