Lazy Beef Lasagna
This quick and easy, ground beef version of lasagna uses refrigerated or frozen cheese ravioli in place of the traditional noodles.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc, and a good source of fiber.
1 1/2 pounds ground beef (90% to 96% lean)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (26-ounce) jar prepared pasta or marinara sauce
1 1/2 cups water
1 (20 to 25-ounce) package refrigerated or frozen cheese ravioli
1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend (or mozzarella)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C). Heat large nonstick over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and garlic; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon; pour off drippings and return beef to skillet.
- Stir in salt, nutmeg and pepper; mix well. Stir in pasta sauce and water; bring to a boil. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Layer ravioli, beef mixture and cheese, 1/2 at a time, in 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish; cover with aluminum foil. Bake in 400°F (205°C) oven 15 minutes (20 minutes if using frozen ravioli). Uncover; continue baking 15 to 20 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and pasta is tender.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 419 calories; 19 g fat (8 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 103 mg cholesterol; 1182 mg sodium; 26 g carbohydrate; 4.6 g fiber; 36 g protein; 6.7 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12; 4.1 mg iron; 22.5 mcg selenium; 6.6 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.