This terrific recipe for Lois' Lasagna was submitted by Lois Hebert of Abbeville, Louisiana.
8 ounces lasagna noodles
2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onions
2 tablespoons minced garlic
12 ounces lean ground beef
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 (28-ounce) can diced Italian tomatoes, drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper - divided use
1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese - divided use
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Rinse with cold water and drain.
- Meanwhile, in a 4 1/2-quart pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent. Add beef and brown until thoroughly cooked. Stir in mushrooms and sauté until softened; drain, if desired. Add tomatoes, basil, salt and half the pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered.
- While the sauce simmers, beat ricotta cheese, egg, half the Parmesan, all of the parsley, sugar and remaining pepper in a small bowl, until well combined; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a 13x9x2-inch baking pan, spread a little bit of sauce on the bottom of the pan to coat. Top with a layer of noodles then dot with 1/3 of the ricotta mixture. Cover ricotta with 1/3 of the remaining sauce and 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat two more times. Sprinkle the top with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until cheese is melted and lasagna is thoroughly heated. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 8 servings.