An Italian-style meatloaf layered in the center with spinach and mozzarella cheese, and topped with seasoned tomato sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan.
1 cup (8-ounces) tomato sauce
1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
1 teaspoon crushed dried basil
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pound lean ground beef
3 whole wheat bread slices
1 large egg white
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a small bowl, combine tomato sauce, oregano, basil and garlic powder.
- Combine beef, bread crumbs, egg white, salt, pepper and half of the tomato sauce mixture in a large bowl; mix well.
- Spread meat on a sheet of wax paper, forming a rectangle about 8x10-inches. Spread spinach over half of the meat. Top with mozzarella cheese, still covering only half of the meat. Fold meat over so that spinach and cheese are inside. Pinch edges of meat to seal.
- Place meat on a rack in a shallow baking pan. Top with remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 1 hour. Let stand 5 to 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
Makes 6 servings.