Corn tortillas take the place of lasagna noodles in this delicious South-of-the-Border layered casserole.
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped green pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can ready-cut tomatoes, undrained
1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
1/4 cup sliced ripe olives
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese - divided use
1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
8 corn tortillas
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a skillet; cook over medium heat, stirring to crumble meat. Drain. Add tomatoes and next 3 ingredients; stir well. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Combine 1 cup cheddar cheese, cottage cheese and egg; stir well. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Cut 2 tortillas into quarters; cook in oil until crisp. drain and set aside. Cook remaining whole tortillas crisp; drain and crumble.
- Spoon 1/3 of meat mixture into a lightly greased 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish. Spoon half of cheese mixture over meat mixture; top with half of crumbled tortillas. Repeat layers, ending with meat mixture. Top with quartered tortillas.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese; bake an additional 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.