Mexican Beef and Rice Dinner
Skillet dinners, like this tasty one, are quick and easy, making them ideal supper fare for those busier-than-usual days when you're running short on both time and energy.
1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
2 cups water
1 teaspoon beef base or bouillon granules
1 (10-ounce) package frozen corn niblets
1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
Shredded cheddar cheese for garnish (optional)
- Cook ground beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat; drain excess fat.
- Add chili powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano leaves and cumin to skillet; cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for rice; bring to a boil, add rice and stir to combine; cover and reduce heat; simmer for 20 minutes, without lifting lid or stirring.
- Remove from heat, gently stir to fluff.
- Serve garnished with shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.
Make 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe; does not include cheese garnish): 358.1 calories; 35% calories from fat; 13.8g total fat; 52.2mg cholesterol; 675.7mg sodium; 622.7mg potassium; 40.6g carbohydrates; 3.0g fiber; 5.1g sugar; 37.6g net carbs; 19.0g protein.