Mexican Stuffed Shells
These stuffed shells combine Italian pasta with Mexican ingredients, yielding a satisfying and zesty casserole.
8 manicotti pasta shells
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup salsa
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Shredded iceberg lettuce for accompaniment
Chopped tomato for accompaniment
Chopped green bell pepper for accompaniment
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Cook manicotti shells according to package directions; drain, cover and set aside.
- Combine ground beef, onion and garlic in a heavy-bottomed skillet. Cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt. Stir in salsa. Continue cooking, mixing well, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in sour cream.
- Stuff prepared manicotti shells with meat mixture and arrange in a 2-quart baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Serve with shredded lettuce, chopped tomato and chopped green bell pepper.
Makes 4 (2 manicotti) servings.