Nancy's Deep Dish Taco Pie
Your family and guests will love Nancy's deep dish taco pie!
1 pound ground chuck
3/4 cup chunky-style salsa
1 ready-to-bake pie crust
7 (1/4-inch) slices Wisconsin Medium Cheddar cheese
1 large beefsteak tomato, chopped
3/4 cup Wisconsin Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
Cottage Cheese Mixture:
3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon jalapeño seasoning (or one medium jalapeño with seeds removed, diced)
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon Mexican chili powder
Sliced green onions, sliced black olives, sour cream
- Brown ground beef and crumble; drain fat and set aside to slightly cool.
- While ground beef is cooling, combine all ingredients for Cottage Cheese Mixture. Add salsa and cottage cheese mixture to the ground meat and stir to distribute evenly.
- Place pie crust in 9-inch glass pie plate.
- Layer cheddar cheese slices on the bottom and along the sides of the crust; add half the ground beef mixture. Layer 1/2 of the chopped tomato and 1/2 of the shredded Pepper Jack cheese over beef; repeat.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 450°F (230°C) for approximately 15 minutes (crust will brown quickly). Reduce heat to 325°F (160°C) for approximately 12 to 15 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is brown throughout. Cool on rack for 15 minutes.
- If desired, top with sliced green onions, sliced black olives and sour cream. Cut pie into wedges and serve.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.