The recipe may look complicated, but it’s not. This classic Spanish rice dish boasts shrimp, pork sausage and fresh pork. Kissed with saffron, and enlivened with pimiento and green peas, this one-dish meal makes enough for a crowd. Just add a crusty loaf of bread to serve alongside. Any leftovers? They reheat nicely in the microwave oven.
3/4 pound pork sausage links
1 pound boneless pork loin, cut into 1-inch cubes
Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3/4 cup green onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth
2 cups long grain rice
1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon saffron, crushed
1 bay leaf
1 pound fresh, medium-sized shrimp, peeled
1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas
1 (2-ounce) jar pimiento strips, drained
2 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- In a large skillet or 4-quart Dutch oven brown sausage over medium heat. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet; set sausage aside.
- Add pork to skillet with green onion and garlic, season to taste with salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until pork is browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Return sausage to pan with chicken broth, rice, salt, oregano, saffron and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes.
- Add shrimp, peas, pimiento and parsley. Simmer, covered, for 7 to 10 minutes or until shrimp are done (do not over-cook shrimp).
- Remove bay leaf before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 570 calories; Protein: 42 grams; Fat: 16 grams; Sodium: 1380 milligrams; Cholesterol: 185 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 5 grams; Carbohydrates: 63 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.