Pork Sausage Pie
This version of the classic French-Canadian Tourtiere takes great liberties with its flavors. It features pork sausage and is laced with favorite pizza toppings such as olives, mushrooms and mozzarella cheese.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening, or lard
1/3 cup water, cold
1 pound pork sausage, bulk
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup ripe olives, pitted and sliced
1 (2-ounce) jar sliced pimiento, drained and diced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 large egg, beaten
1 tablespoon water
- Prepare cornmeal pastry: In a mixing bowl combine flour, cornmeal and salt; cut in shortening or lard till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push to side of bowl. Repeat till all is moistened. Form dough into a ball. Divide in half. On a lightly floured surface roll half the dough to a circle about 10 inches in diameter. Ease pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of baking dish; set aside.
- In a large skillet cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat till sausage is browned and onion is tender; drain. Stir in mushrooms, olives, pimiento and flour. Add water and cook over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat; stir in cheeses. Set aside.
- For top crust, roll out the remaining dough.
- Spoon sausage mixture into the pastry-lined pie plate. Top with pastry for top crust. Trim top crust 1/2 inch beyond edge of baking dish. Fold extra pastry under bottom crust; flute edge.
- Combine egg and water; brush egg mixture atop pastry, cut slits for escape of steam.
- Bake in a 400°F (205°C) oven for 30 minutes or until crust is golden.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 550 calories; Protein: 15 grams; Fat: 39 grams; Sodium: 790 milligrams; Cholesterol: 85 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 14 grams; Carbohydrates: 34 grams; Fiber: 2 grams.
Recipe provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.