Rich and Zesty Tamale Pie
Tamale pie is a delicious dish to serve and enjoy family-style when you want the taste of tamales but prefer the ease of a casserole. Made with yellow or white corn meal, sliced ripe olives and diced green chiles, tamale pie is a Southwestern favorite.
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 (10-ounce) cans enchilada sauce
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
1 (2.25-ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups ALBERS Yellow or White Corn Meal
2 cups water
1 (12-ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
1/2 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Filling: Cook beef, onion and garlic in large skillet until beef is browned; drain. Stir in enchilada sauce, corn, olives and salt.
- Crust: Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Combine cornmeal, water, evaporated milk and salt in medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 5 to 7 minutes or until thick. Stir in chiles. Reserve 2 cups cornmeal mixture; cover with plastic wrap. Spread remaining cornmeal mixture on bottom and up sides of greased 12 x 8-inch baking dish. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
- Spoon meat filling into cornmeal crust. Spread reserved cornmeal mixture over meat filling.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes; sprinkle with cheese. Bake for additional 5 to 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.