Roast Meat Loaf
A good basic meat loaf with a simple, sweet tomato topping.
2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 large egg
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon savory
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/2 cup tomato ketchup
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl combine ground beef, chopped onion, egg, oats, milk, salt, savory, pepper, and parsley.
- Press the mixture firmly in an ungreased loaf pan. Loosen the edge and unmold into a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine ketchup and brown sugar; spoon over the loaf.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- Remove the meat loaf to a plate and let stand for 10 minutes before slicing.
Makes 8 servings.