Santa Fe Pie
Recipe courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.
Non-stick cooking spray
3 to 4 (6-inch) reduced-fat or fat-free flour tortillas
1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups 2% milk Mexican four cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack, colby and mozzarella cheese)
2 (4 -ounce) cans chopped green chiles, drained
2 medium tomatoes, chopped and drained
6 large eggs beaten
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C) (175°C).
- With cooking spray, Coat a 10-inch pie plate.
- Place tortillas in pie plate, overlapping, covering bottom and sides.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook beef and onion until meat browns, about 8 to 10 minutes; remove from heat; drain. Add cheese, green chiles and tomato pieces; stir to mix. Spread meat mixture over tortillas.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cottage cheese, chili powder and cumin; mix well. Pour egg mixture evenly over meat.
- Bake until top is golden brown, and center reaches 160°F (71.1°C), about 40 to 45 minutes Sprinkle with cilantro, if desired. Cut into wedges; serve.
Makes 7 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/7 of recipe): Calories: 287; Total Fat: 14g; Cholesterol: 212mg; Total Carbs: 16g; Protein: 25g; Sodium: 635mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Incredible Edible Egg™.