A savory mix of sausage, spinach and feta rolled in phyllo dough.
1 pound bulk pork sausage
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
10 (17 x 13-inch rectangle) sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
1/2 cup butter, melted
Fresh watercress (optional)
Black olives (optional)
Lemon peel twists (optional)
- In a large skillet cook sausage and onion over medium-high heat till sausage is done and onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Drain. Stir in spinach, feta cheese, Parmesan cheese and oregano. Set aside.
- Unfold the phyllo dough; spread one sheet flat. (Keep remaining sheets covered with a damp towel.) Brush the one sheet with some of the melted butter. Top with the remaining sheets of phyllo, brushing each with some of the melted butter.
- Spread the sausage-spinach mixture lengthwise over bottom third of the layered phyllo dough to within 2 inches of ends. Fold ends over. Carefully roll up phyllo. Place the roll, seam side down, on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush with the remaining butter.
- Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 35 minutes or till brown.
- Garnish with watercress, olives, and lemon peel twists, if desired.
Makes 12 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories: 334 calories; Protein: 10 grams; Fat: 28 grams; Sodium: 642 milligrams; Cholesterol: 60 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 13 grams; Carbohydrates: 12 grams; Fiber: 2 grams.
Recipe provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.