Sausage Spoon Bread
A humble and hearty dish, this spoon bread is laced with sausage and cheddar cheese. It’s perfect for a simple supper, or for a hearty breakfast following snow shoveling.
1 pound breakfast sausage links
4 cups milk
1 cup yellow or white corn meal
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons onion, chopped
1 tablespoon mustard
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
4 large eggs, well beaten
- In large skillet, brown sausage on all sides. Remove to paper toweling to drain.
- In double boiler, heat milk. Gradually whisk in corn meal and cook, stirring often, until consistency of mush. Add butter and salt to corn meal mixture and mix well.
- In large mixing bowl, add onion, mustard and cheese to beaten eggs.
- Gradually stir corn meal mixture into eggs. Pour into a greased 1 1/2 quart oven-proof baking dish. Top with sausage and bake at 425°F (220°C). for 45 minutes.
- Cut into wedges to serve.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 420 calories; Protein: 21 grams; Fat: 26 grams; Sodium: 950 milligrams; Cholesterol: 190 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 11 grams; Carbohydrates: 27 grams.
Recipe provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.