Skillet Beef and Rice Posole
A quick and easy beef and rice skillet meal with all the flavors of the classic Mexican stew, Posole.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron and zinc.
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
2 cups uncooked quick-cooking rice
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed, drained
1 (14 to 15-ounce) can hominy or corn, drained
1 3/4 cups water
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 1/2 cups finely shredded Mexican cheese blend, or cheddar cheese
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings.
- Add rice and green onions; cook and stir 5 minutes. Stir in beans, hominy, water, tomatoes and turmeric; bring to a boil. Cover and remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: For a festive look, as shown in photo, use a small cookie cutter to cut stars from an additional tortilla to garnish tower tops.
Test Kitchen Tips:
- Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed ground beef.
- Ground beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (71.1°C).
- Color is not a reliable indicator of ground beef doneness.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): 571 calories; 23 g fat; 84 mg cholesterol; 619 mg sodium; 51 g carbohydrate; 38 g protein; 7.7 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 2.4 mcg vitamin B12; 5.5 mg iron; 7.3 mg zinc.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.