Skillet Chili Topper
Recipe courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.
1 pound 96% lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 1 medium)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 (16-ounce) jar thick-and-chunky salsa
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, undrained
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes breaking into small crumbles and stirring occasionally. Pour off drippings.
- Add chili powder; cook and stir 1 minutes Stir in salsa and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes or until liquid is evaporated, stirring occasionally.
Makes 4 servings.
- Spoon chili over baked potatoes; top with shredded cheese and dairy sour cream.
- Serve on grilled or sautéed polenta squares; sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro.
- For nachos, spoon onto tortilla chips, top with diced avocado, shredded cheese and sliced olives; heat in oven or microwave to melt cheese.
- Roll up in flour tortillas with your favorite burrito toppings.
- For beefy quesadillas, spoon onto one side of flour tortillas, sprinkle with shredded Mexican cheese blend; fold tortillas over filling and heat in oven or on griddle to melt cheese.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 213; Total Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 65mg; Total Carbs: 17g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 28g; Sodium: 1020mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of The Beef Checkoff.