This delicious strata uses typical Mexican ingredients such as chorizo sausage, poblano and jalapeño chiles and queso blanco cheese. A versatile main dish that can be served anytime of the day, from breakfast to supper.
8 ounces fresh chorizo sausage, casings removed
1 small onion, diced
1 large poblano pepper, diced
2 jalapeño chiles, seeded and minced*
1 medium tomato, diced
1/2 teaspoon each, salt and ground black pepper
4 onion rolls, torn into small pieces
6 large eggs, beaten
1 3/4 cups milk
2 cups (8 ounces) Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
1 cup (about 6 ounces) Wisconsin Queso Blanco Cheese, shredded or crumbled
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish; set aside.
- In nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage, onion and peppers, stirring frequently while breaking sausage apart, until fully cooked and no longer pink. Remove from heat, stir in tomato, salt and pepper; cool.
- In large bowl, toss together all remaining ingredients with sausage mixture; mix well. Spread in prepared baking dish.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes until puffed and golden.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
*Add additional jalapeños for a spicier version.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.