Southwestern Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Baked sweet potatoes topped with a savory, Southwestern-style ground turkey and vegetable filling.
4 medium sized sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced red pepper
8 ounces ground turkey
1/2 cup mild, thick-style taco sauce
1/2 cup sliced stuffed Spanish olives
1/2 cup loose-pack frozen kernel corn
Pinch of salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Wash sweet potatoes and poke each with a fork. Microwave on high until fork-tender, about 10 minutes for 4 potatoes (cooking time depends on microwave type). Turn potatoes halfway through cooking if microwave does not have a turntable.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until transparent, about 4 minutes.
- Add peppers and sauté about 4 minutes more.
- Add ground turkey and stir until turkey is cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Add taco sauce, turn heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in olives, corn, salt and cayenne pepper. Simmer 4 more minutes.
- To serve, cut potatoes lengthwise along the top. Squeeze the potato to fluff-up potato. Spoon 1/4 of the topping over each potato. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe courtesy of North Carolina Sweetpotato Commission.