Spaghetti and Meatballs
Thick, red tomato sauce simmering on the stove fills the kitchen with the glorious aroma of a spaghetti dinner to come! Enjoy this hearty dish with a crisp salad, crusty bread and fresh fruit for dessert.
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1 slice of soft white bread
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon salt - divided use
1 teaspoon ground black pepper - divided use
1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano - divided use
1 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, in juice
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 bay leaves
8 ounces spaghetti pasta
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for accompaniment
- In a bowl combine the egg and milk and crumble in the bread. Add Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon oregano. Add the ground beef and ground pork and mix well. Wet hands. Measure 2 tablespoons meat mixture, shaping meatballs by hand.
- In a deep saucepan heat oil; add onions and garlic and cook until the onions are transparent. Remove the onions and garlic with a slotted spoon, placing them into a small bowl.
- Add meatballs to saucepan; brown the meatballs, turning them often. Drain off any excess fat. Stir in the browned onions, garlic, undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, water, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper and bay leaves. Cover, reduce heat to low simmer. Cook for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking, cook pasta according to package directions; drain and cover.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving sauce over hot spaghetti. Pass the grated Parmesan cheese.
Makes 6 servings.