Bright green bell peppers 'cups' are filled with a savory ground beef and rice mixture and baked until tender.
4 green bell peppers
1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
2 tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 cup (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup instant rice
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Slice tops from peppers about 1/4 the way down from stems; remove seeds; set peppers aside. Remove stems from tops, discard stems and dice tops; set diced pepper aside.
- Heat a medium skillet on medium-high; add beef and onion; brown; drain excess fat.
- Stir in diced bell pepper, tomatoes, tomato sauce, instant rice, water, salt and pepper. When softened, remove mixture from heat and spoon into prepared bell peppers. Place in a greased 8x8x2-inch baking dish.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until bell peppers are tender.
Makes 4 servings.