Swiss Cheese and Sausage Tart
A tender, butter and sour cream pastry forms the base of this delicious entrée tart featuring Italian sausage, a mixture of sweet peppers, baby portobellos and Swiss cheese.
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3/4 cup sour cream
8 ounces Italian sausage
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup sliced onion
1 cup sliced mixed red, yellow, and green peppers
1 cup sliced baby portobello mushrooms
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; mix well. Cut in the butter until the mixture is the consistency of coarse meal. Add the sour cream and toss together until the dough forms a ball. Flatten the dough into a disk; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Roll out the dough and gently press into a 10-inch tart or pie pan. Prick the bottom with a fork and bake for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage until no longer pink, stirring frequently and breaking apart. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage to a plate, and set aside.
- Add the butter to skillet and melt over medium-high heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook, stirring frequently, until soft and beginning to brown, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are tender and the onions are brown.
- Distribute the sausage evenly over the tart shell.
- Gently toss the cheese with the warm vegetables and spread evenly over the sausage layer.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.