Turkey Sausage Potato Boats
Recipe courtesy of the National Turkey Federation.
2 large baking potatoes
1 pound turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Bake potatoes in microwave (prick several times with tines of fork before microwaving.) Cook time will vary based on Microwave Oven. Turn potatoes several times during cooking. Potatoes are done when fork inserted in middle goes in easily. (Let stand while cooking sausage.)
- Slice potatoes in half, lengthwise. Scoop out center of potato to within 1/4-inch of potato skin. Reserve potato pulp for other use.
- In skillet, over medium-high heat, combine turkey, onion, and garlic. Cook 5 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink; drain meat juices if necessary.
- Add tomatoes, chili powder, oregano, cumin, red pepper flakes and salt. Simmer 15 minutes or until most of liquid has evaporated.
- Spoon turkey mixture into potato shells and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake potato shells in a 13x9x2-inch baking pans in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 15 minutes or until cheese melts.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of National Turkey Federation.