Walnut Mint Bars
A nutty chocolate crust is topped by a creamy mint filling and a decorative chocolate drizzle.
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons margarine or butter - divided use
1 1/2 cups (about 45 wafers) vanilla wafer crumbs
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract or 1 tablespoon green creme de menthe
Green food color (optional)
Chocolate Drizzle (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In medium saucepan, melt 1/2 cup margarine; stir in crumbs, walnuts, sugar and cocoa. Press firmly on bottom of ungreased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- In small bowl, beat cream cheese, remaining 2 tablespoons margarine and cornstarch until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk then egg, peppermint extract and food color, if desired.
- Pour evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 25 minutes or until center is set. Cool.
- Drizzle Chocolate Drizzle over top. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled. Cut into bars. Store covered in refrigerator.
Makes 24 to 36 bars.
Chocolate Drizzle: Melt 1 cup HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips with 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable shortening (do not use butter, margarine or oil).
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.