Crunchy Topped Cocoa Cake
A quick and easy cocoa snack cake complete with a scrumptious broiled coconut topping. File this recipe under "Keeper".
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup coarsely chopped nuts
1/2 cup MOUNDS Sweetened Coconut Flakes
3 tablespoons light cream or evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease and flour 8-inch square baking pan.
- Stir together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla; beat with spoon or whisk just until batter is smooth and ingredients are well blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, prepare Broiled Topping; spread on warm cake. Set oven to Broil; place pan about 4-inches from heat. Broil 3 minutes or until top is bubbly and golden brown. Remove from oven. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
- For Broiled Topping: Stir together all ingredients in small bowl until well blended. Makes about 1 cup topping.
Makes 9 servings.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Hershey Kitchens, and reprinted with permission of The Hershey Company. © The Hershey Company.