Chai Spice Girls
Move over, gingerbread boys — make room for sugar, spice, and all things nice. Just two bags of chai tea plus two teaspoons each of pumpkin pie spice and molasses flavor these updated holiday cookie cutouts.
2 spiced chai-flavored tea bags
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 cups butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons molasses
Powdered Sugar Icing:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
3 teaspoons milk
- For Cookies: Remove tea bag contents (3 teaspoons); discard bags. In medium bowl combine tea, flour, and pumpkin pie spice; set aside.
- In large mixing bowl beat butter on medium to high 30 seconds. Add sugar; beat until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and molasses. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can; stir in remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and refrigerate about 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper. On lightly floured surface, roll half of the dough at a time until 1/4-inch thickness. Cut dough with 4-inch gingerbread girl cutters.
- Bake 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheets 2 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool completely. Decorate with Powdered Sugar Icing.
- For Powdered Sugar Icing: In a small bowl stir together powdered sugar, vanilla or almond extract, and enough milk (3 to 4 teaspoons) to make icing drizzling consistency.
Makes 18 to 20 cookies.
To Store: Layer cookies between waxed paper is covered airtight container. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/18 of recipe): 308 kcal cal., 16g fat (10g sat. fat, 1g polyunsaturated fat, 4g monounsatured fat), 64mg chol., 112mg sodium, 39g carb., 1g fiber, 22g sugar, 3g protein.
Recipe and photograph provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.