Chocolatey Holiday Bears
You'll need a 4-inch bear cookie cutter to make these festive, chocolate bear cookies.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 (3.25-ounce) package chocolate instant pudding and pie filling
1 large egg
1 (4-inch) bear cookie cutter
Assorted small candies
Chocolate or colored sprinkles
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, dry pudding mix and egg with electric mixer on medium speed until well blended.
- Gradually add flour mixture to pudding mixture, beating until well blended after each addition. Form into ball. (If dough is too soft, refrigerate for about 1 hour.)
- Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch-thickness. Cut out dough using 4-inch "bear" cookie cutter or other 4-inch holiday cookie cutter; place on greased baking sheets. Reroll scraps and use to cut additional cookies as needed.
- Decorate cutouts with small candies, raisins or sprinkles for eyes, mouth and buttons, pressing in lightly.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until slightly firm.
- Remove from baking sheets. Cool on wire racks.
- Melt chocolate in microwavable bowl on MEDIUM for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes; stir until smooth.
- Spread chocolate on bottom half of bears for pants or skirts.
Makes about 20 bears.