Rich, homemade chocolate and vanilla bean cappuccino so special it's served at Christmastime.
1 1/2 cups espresso beans
3 cups boiling water
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, split
4 cups milk
4-ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
Lightly sweetened whipped cream (optional)
- In a coffee mill, finely grind the beans. In a coffee maker, brew the espresso with the boiling water.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon and set aside.
- Using a small knife, scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into a medium saucepan. Pour in the milk and scald over medium heat, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add chocolate and stir until melted. Cover and keep warm over very low heat.
- Divide the hot espresso into 4 cups.
- In a blender, begin whipping half of the warm chocolate milk at low speed. Gradually increase the speed to high and blend until frothy, about 1 minute.
- Pour the chocolate milk into the cups of coffee, stir briefly and top each serving with some of the milk froth. Sprinkle the reserved cinnamon sugar on top. Serve immediately with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.