Cream Cheese Cut-Out Cookies
Cream cheese adds rich flavor and gives these festively iced sugar cookies a softer texture.
1 cup butter, softened
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
4 to 5 teaspoons milk
- For Cookies: Combine butter and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl. Beat until fluffy. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and almond extract. Beat well.
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour and baking powder. Add flour mixture to cream cheese and beat until well mixed. The dough will be stiff—add a little milk, if necessary. Divide dough in half. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- On lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with desired cookie cutter.
- Bake on greased cookie sheets for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove to wire rack and cool. Spread or decorate with Almond Frosting.
- For Almond Frosting: In small mixing bowl, beat powdered sugar, butter and almond extract until fluffy. Beat in enough milk to make a spreadable consistency, adding more milk if necessary. Stir in food coloring, if desired.
Makes about 3 1/3 to 4 dozen.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.